Sunday, October 4, 2009

My new Nemesis Bird

Yesterday afternoon, I drove up to the Meadow Lands, hoping finally get a Least Bittern. I had already missed this species on several previous occasions earlier this year, (even on trips when others in the group saw it) and really thought I had a chance this time. I was in the right location, almost noone was in the area due to the recently ended rains, the tide was low, and there was a small flock of sandpipers (Lesser Yellowlegs and a Stilt Sandpiper) hanging out on the mud flat in the area. Everything seemed to be perfect until Peregrine Falcons showed up!
I had only been waiting about 5 minutes, when suddenly an alarm call went out and the entire flock suddenly retreated to up against the edge of the Phragmites. A second later, an immature Peregrine appeared from over my left shoulder, heading straight towards them. However, the Yellowlegs held to the cover of the Phragmites, which caused the Peregrine to breakoff its dive at the last second and begin a climb back towards the west. Amazing, I had just witnessed my second ringside Peregrine attack in just 8 days! I knew right then that I probably wasn't going to see my lifer Least Bittern; but being stubbern, I decided to stay and watch that area. Boy, was I am glad that I did. It was about 10 minutes later, and the flock was staying tight up against the Phragmites, when a second Peregrine attack occurred. However, this time the attacker was an adult Peregrine. The flock didn't spook which caused this Peregrine to also break off its dive, then quickly circle around to try and miss again. Fantastic, a ringside seat, just 30 feet away, from two separate Peregrine Falcon attacks in just 10 minutes! Although I stayed and watched that area for another hour and a half, the Least Bittern never appeared. Of course if I was a Least Bittern, I don't think I would have come out after 2 Peregrine attacks either. However, after so many misses this year, I am officially declaring the Leat Bittern to be my Nemesis Bird.
Stilt Sandpiper (front) & Lesser Yellowleg
Stilt Sandpiper