Saturday, October 10, 2009

A good day for raptors

I went down to Brigantine today hoping to finally add the Saltmarsh (Sharptail) Sparrow to my Life List. Even though I missed locating a Saltmarsh Sparrow, it was great day to be down at Brigantine with my day total of 58 species, in only one trip around the wildlife drive. I knew it was going to be an interesting day when shortly after I arrived at the Gull Tower, I spotted my first Peregrine Falcon, followed almost immediately by 2 Northern Harriers. Then just a few minutes later, I watched as a Merlin chased after another Norhern Harrier that had strayed too close to the wooded uplands. I ended the day with a total of 6 raptor species incluing 4 Peregrine Falcons, 6-8 Northern Harriers, at least 3 Bald Eagles, the Merlin, 2 Ospreys and a Turkey Vulture. The Peregrines were every active today, affording me the opportunity to watch at least 6 unsuccessful attacks on shore birds, and one Peregrine that chased a Bald Eagle. Definately a great day for Raptor watching. The other surprise for the day was a pair of Pectoral Sandpipers that I found in a small flock of 20-30 Semipalmated & Least Sandpipers close to the road.

Northern Harrier Bald Eagle

Pectoral Sandpiper