Monday, October 12, 2009

Chasing 1000 - #997

Based on the possible New Jersey species that I could add to my List List, I decided that my best target was the Satlmarsh (Sharp-tailed) Sparrow. Taking advantage of my Columbus Day Holiday, I drove back down to Brigantine, planning today to focus my attention on its sparrows instead of shorebirds and water fowl. Swamps, Savannahs and Song Sparrows all seemed like they all wanted to be seen, with all 3 species providing me with plenty of good looks at close range but not other sparrows seemed to be on the marsh. Then at the far northeast corner of the drive, I spotted another flock of sparrows, one or two Savannahs were out in the open, but there other birds in the Spartina. Getting out of the car to get a better look, these birds suddenly decided to cooperate, first a Neslon's (Sharp-tailed) Sparrow popped up, then a Seaside, then a few more Nelson's, and then suddenly up popped my target, a Saltmarsh (Sharp-tailed) Sparrow (#997). The flock uncharacteristically cooperated for about five minutes, including once when all 3 species were in view, before they fling over into the Spartina across the channel. An incredible Hat Trick!



Saltmarsh (Sharp-tailed) Sparrow